This soup is full of amazing flavor, protein and vegetables. Gluten-Free, Paleo and simple to make. Leave out the meat for a great vegan option.
Chicken Soup with Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potato
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs. chicken, cut into cubes
- 10 cups water (optional, use some portion of it as broth!)
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 small bay leaf
- 4 oz. fresh brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 3 Tbsp. Glean sweet potato flour
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place chicken, beef, onion, garlic and bay leaf in a large pot. Pour in 10 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to maintain a strong simmer. Cook the mixture, partially covered for one hour, occasionally stirring until meat is cooked.
- Remove the bay leaf. Increase the heat to high and cook the mixture until the liquid is reduced to about 3 cups, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the brussels sprouts, sweet potato, sweet potato flour and rosemary. Reduce the heat and simmer the soup until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the salt and some pepper and serve the soup immediately.
Tips: You can use fully cooked chicken and add in with the vegetables. Stew beef is also a great option for a different flavor!