Blackberry Shortbread Bars by @sliceofjess
Can you think of something better for a mid afternoon snack?! Packed with our Sweet Potato Flour, these Blackberry Shortbread Bars will be sure to hit the spot!
Sweet Potato Shortbread Crust:
- 1⁄2 c. Salted Butter, melted
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1⁄4 c. Granulated Sugar
- 1⁄8 tsp. Salt
- 1⁄2 c. All-Purpose Flour
- 1⁄2 c. Glean Sweet Potato Flour
- Handful of blackberries (more or less depending on taste)
- 1 tsp. Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp. Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1⁄8 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
- 2 tbsp. All-Purpose Flour
- 1⁄2 c. Old-Fashioned Oats
- 1⁄4 c. All-Purpose Flour
- 1⁄3 c. Light Brown Sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup Salted Butter, cold and cubed
- 1/4 c. white chocolate chips
- Simple Salted Caramel Sauce, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 300F.
- Line the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving enough overhang so you can easily pull everything out after it bakes. Set aside.
- To make the crust: Whisk the melted butter, sugar, vanilla and salt together in a mixing bowl. Add the flours and stir until crumbly and combined.
- Press evenly into prepared baking pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the crust bakes, make the apple filling. Peel & core three apples. Using the Ninja Kitchen Food Processor, utilize the slicing blade to thinly slice your apples.
- In a large bowl, mix the blackberries, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and flour together so the apples are evenly coated.
- After the filling is prepped, you'll need to make the oatmeal streusel. Combine oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, white chocolate chips, and flour together in a large bowl.
- Cut the chilled butter into small cubes and mix into oatmeal blend.
- Remove the shortbread crust from the oven and crank it up to 350F.
- Evenly layer crust with apples and then sprinkle with oatmeal streusel.
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes, or until the streusel is golden.
- After everything is done baking, remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before cutting into smaller servings. I suggest cutting them into 12 squares.
- Once cut, drizzle them with warm salted caramel sauce and serve on its own or with ice cream. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.